Connect with us

Metro

Heartbreak: How a Botched Gastric Sleeve Surgery Left Us Helpless as Our Mother Passed Away

Please Share This Story

In a heart-wrenching narrative that serves as a cautionary tale, the Meenan Browse family shares the devastating story of their beloved Shannon Meenan Browse, a 32-year-old mother of four from Derry, whose life was tragically cut short after a series of complications following a gastric sleeve surgery abroad. Shannon’s harrowing ordeal serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers associated with medical procedures performed overseas.



Reports by The Sun News on Saturday, September 2, 2023, indicated that Shannon’s journey towards gastric sleeve surgery was marked by a history of weight management struggles.

Initially, she had embarked on a path to better health through exercise, working diligently with a personal trainer. However, her aspirations took a sudden detour when she was diagnosed with myopathy, a condition affecting her muscle function and mobility. Faced with this challenging diagnosis, Shannon, like many others, considered gastric sleeve surgery as a potential solution.

Opting to undergo the procedure abroad, Shannon ventured overseas with a friend, hoping that the surgery would offer her a new lease on life. Gastric sleeve surgery, a popular weight loss procedure, involves reducing the size of the stomach, which subsequently limits the amount of food a person can consume. It can indeed be effective for weight loss, but it is not without risks.

The National Health Service (NHS) outlines potential complications of gastric sleeve surgery, including difficulties in swallowing, vomiting, and, in rare cases, death. For Shannon, the road to recovery took a perilous turn when she returned home. Unable to tolerate solid foods, she experienced a relentless cycle of vomiting and debilitating nausea. Her family watched in helpless despair as her health rapidly deteriorated.

Pay Attention:   I was bullied and mocked for having a wide mouth in school, Woman having the widest mouth says after wining Guinness book of Record (video)



As the months passed, Shannon’s condition worsened, and her quality of life diminished drastically. The vomiting became so severe that it led to the unthinkable—her teeth began to rot, and her hair fell out. Her husband, Don, and father, Shane, struggled to cope with the distressing reality of watching her suffer. Desperation led to a critical turning point when Shannon had to be placed on life support at Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry

On August 25, 2023, Shannon Meenan Browse tragically lost her battle, succumbing to multiple organ failure. Her death serves as a stark reminder that medical procedures performed abroad may not always meet the rigorous standards and regulations of one’s home country, potentially putting patients at risk.

This heart-wrenching story underscores the need for individuals considering medical tourism to thoroughly research their options and consult with medical professionals in their home country. It is imperative to be well-informed about the potential risks and benefits of any medical procedure, especially when performed abroad.

Shannon’s family, amidst their grief, hope that sharing her story will prevent others from experiencing a similar tragedy. Their message is clear: be cautious, be informed, and prioritize safety when making decisions about medical procedures, especially when venturing overseas in pursuit of better health.

In the wake of this profound loss, the memory of Shannon Meenan Browse will live on, not only as a beloved mother and wife but also as a cautionary beacon, shedding light on the risks associated with medical procedures abroad and urging individuals to prioritize their safety above all else.

Please Share This Story

Birminghamgist Staff is a News Reporter, making waves in the UK with insightful and Engaging reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending